Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Jadot Deux

Day two of Jadot tastings. Today's pick is a 2015 Volnay Clos de la Barre. Compared to the Gevry yesterday, this wine is more about the nose, with faint aromas of rose and cherry blossoms. It's again terroir driven (as it should be), but less clay and more limestone, and even though I'm drinking it colder than I'd like, the minerals are well focused. Off the top of my head, I started to think "somewhere between Pommard and Red Meursault" and, I'll be darned, look at the map!

Bright Griotte cherries with a hint of crab apple on the palate, and a tart finish with a hint of crème fraîche (is that a touch of malolactic I detect?). Once again, a wine with duck if I were to say something off the top of my head. Roast suckling pig with cassoulet, sure, but this would be excellent with a piece of stinky french cheese, or a stronger fish like spanish mackerel, bonito, tuna, or bluefish. I'd even say a whiter fish like dorade/orata/bream dressed with a good strong olive oil. Buy it now, drink it now, but save a few bottles for that Christmas Goose. And next year's. And next year's.

No comments:

Post a Comment